Frugal-nomics DIY: Striped Boat Neck Dress
Hey guys! So, I created this dress back when it was warmer…but since the temperature is better today than it has been, I thought I’d share it. It’s a boatneck dress, and while I’ve always loved this particular neckline on dresses, I don’t think I own a single one. How can that be?! Welp, that had to change and I thought stripes would be the perfect way to incorporate it. So, I found this bold striped fabric that would hug in the all the right places, and I was all set. You a fan of stripes? Tell me below.
SUPPLIES: straight pins, tape, pencil, paper, scissors, striped fabric, and dress for a pattern.
1. First, feel free to use a dress that you already love to create a pattern — I liked two dresses, and created a pattern I started
here for the bottom, and made a new pattern for the top portion.
2. I folded back the excess pieces from the previous pattern (You can completely skip Step #1 if you have one dress you like). So,
here’s what I wound up with.
3. Double up your striped fabric, pin your pattern to it, and then cut it out.
4. Go ahead and sew up the shoulders and sides of the dress.
5. Use your straight pins to hem the neckline and bottom hem for a finished edge.
6. I left the raw armholes….I seemed to like that better. But now, all you have to do is go ahead and sew up the neck and bottom
hem and you’re ready to go.