DIY: Beyonce Super Bowl Inspired Bustier
Was I the only one who sat in awe after the Super Bowl half time show back in February? Not only at Beyonce’s performance — I mean Kelly and Michelle were a refreshing throwback — but of Beyonce’s COSTUME? I literally said out loud when she flashed that winning smile at the end….”now THAT’S HOT!” Entralled with the look, I found the guipure lace, got my hands on a secondhand leather vest, and got to work.
Supplies: Leather vest, guipure lace, rotary cutter, scissors, straight pins, tape measure, straight edge, pen, sewing machine, and/or needle and thread. (Note: you can use fabric paint or spray paint to dye lace if you’d like).
1. Wrap lace around your body, or mannequin to estimate where lace will fall and how much you’ll need.
2. I used masking tape here, but it would be just as easy to use straight pics to section off a guide to what part of the design you want to include BEFORE you cut.
3. Cut out the “U” shaped form of lace you’ll be working with — slowly snipping pieces of the lace close to the edge that won’t be included in your design.
4. I wanted a slightly darker shade than what was available, but this step is totally optional. To change lace color, feel free to use fabric paint or even spray paint to do the job. (Note: I tried RIT dye initially, but unfortunately it didn’t work).
5. Use tape measure and pen to mark out the deep “V’s” of leather that you’ll remove from the abdomen area of the vest.
6. Use a rotary cutter to precisely cut the leather.
7. With straight pins, hem the rough edges of the vest that are left after you cut out the V’s.
8. With a half inch seam allowance, hem the leather V’s.
9. Hand stitch lace onto the inner lining of the vest.