Frugal-nomics DIY: Stella and Dot Inspired Pegasus Necklace
I’ve gotta admit that I’ve had a jewelry crush on the Stella and Dot Pegasus Necklace for a couple years now, and while I believe in investing in a few really nice statement necklaces, I couldn’t bring myself to cough up the over $200 price tag they were asking. So, me not minding to put the work in when it’s something I want, I took to finding suitable leaves to begin my jewelry quest to create a Stella and Dot Pegasus Knockoff. I was so very excited to complete it, and I’m happy to say that I get soooo many compliments on this when I wear it — and I do wear it quite often. Gotta a necklace you’re crushing on? Tell me below. Of if you’ve been inspired by this one….please leave a comment too.
SUPPLIES: felt, patina, glue, assorted chain (I used 2 kinds), bulk folded leaf chain (I used about 6 feet — about 120 leaves come on each foot), 3 findings, a lobster clasp, tweezers, scissors, pliers, wire cutters, straight pins, a bowl, and paper to create the pattern for the shape of the necklace you desire.
1. Take a piece of paper and fold it in half, then cut out the shape of your desired necklace. After that…use your straight pins to attach your paper pattern to your folded in half felt.
2. Cut out this form.
3. The leaves will come on a chain, so take your wire cutters and remove them all from the chain.
4. Once all the leaves were removed from the chain, here I used my tweezers to lightly dip each leaf in the glue and then carefully adhere it to the wrong side of the felt.
5. I made long rows from left to right, being careful to visualize where my rows of leaves with patina and chain would begin.
6. Next I immersed about 155 leaves in a small bowl with green patina, and let it sit for a few hours. Once they reach my desired color of green, I rinsed them off, and then patted them dry before glued them to the felt.
7. Figure out how low you want your necklace to hang — mine is moderately close to my neck, then cut the 2 types of chain to your desired length.
8. Add a little glue to the exposed surface of felt, and press your chain into place.
9. Add a jump ring and clasp to one dangling side of your chain, and then pinch it closed. Repeat on opposite side with just a jump ring.
This is soooo great! My mom wants this necklace for Christmas but I currently splurge that much on a necklace. I bought her other gifts but was glad to find your post on Pinterest. Thank you so much for sharing this. I am going to attempt to make buy the materials and make it for her.
Very lovely and inspired! Where did you buy the leaves – is there a website I can purchase all the materials from. You will absolutely make my day if you can send me the links…thanks much!
Wow! What’ a creative and gorgeous piece you created. Inspired! Let you know how it goes… Wish me luck!
Where did you find the leaves?
This is so cute! I’ve got to track you down for apartment decor help! 🙂